Thursday, June 4, 2009

Farmer Franny

When we got out of therapy yesterday I had a message from my mom telling me they needed help in the hay field. That's an offer you can't refuse. When the hay is on the ground you have to work like the dickens to get it up before rain appears which will ruin it. I guess that's where the phrase "make hay" comes from. (For those of you that don't know, my dad is a CPA during the day and a gentleman farmer by night.)

We sped out to the farm and I didn't even go to the house to change out of my go-town-clothes. Also did a little happy dance in my head about the opportunity to help in the hay field. I'm probably the only person I know that LOVES to get up hay. I love the smell of the hay and the feel of it blowing all around me as I'm riding through the pastures. It's a beautiful thing. A trip down memory lane too. My dad and grandfather started me driving tractors in the hay field when I was around 6 or 7. It was a blast!!!! The only problem was that I had to drive the f*rd tractor and it was a hateful old thing. I'd have to stand on the brakes and clutch because they were so hard. Evidently my grandfather felt sorry for me around the time I was 12 and got me a used Internati*nal tractor that didn't require full body weight to stop. I was in heaven! My dad did have to remark about my (not) farming clothes and shoes. I thought my cute black sandals made a real statement on the tractor. ;-)

Today that wonderful tractor is still working on the farm and yesterday it was all mine again. Oh my! I was in heaven. It's a love thing with me and that tractor. Everyone else in the field had those fancy, smancy front-end loader tractors. Not me and I was as happy as a pig in slop. Me and the Love Tractor.

We didn't get all the hay in the barn yesterday so I knew I'd get the opportunity again today. The skies were cloudy this morning and it started sprinkling on us as we went to the farm. It was a race against rain to get the hay to the barn. Full RPM's speeding across the field. What a blast! The only problem was my sweet ole tractor can only carry one bale of hay at a time because it only has a spear on the back. A front-end loader has a spear on the front and back so you can do two at a time. I was getting a little frustrated because I could only carry the one bale and not having enough time with the rain coming. You can't put wet hay in a barn. It will catch on fire when it builds up heat. The only problem was I have never driven a front-end loader. It's pretty difficult to maneuver the front spear and takes a lot of practice. The brakes, clutch, gas and gears are all in different places from the Love Tractor.

My dad must have known I was getting frustrated so he called me over to the front-end loader and gave me the 2 second lesson. Like I was going to get it. Yeah. Let's put me on a tractor I've never driven with 3 spears on the front and 3 spears on the back. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the field with me. Scary stuff. I told everyone to clear out of my way and they all went to the hay barn to unload the last trailer that had left the field. I took off on my own to spear me some hay. Bet the hay was shaking too. ;-D

The bale I was after had turned over on it's side so I had to stand it up first with the spear then back up the tractor, readjust the spear and pick it up. I did it on my second try!!!!! I threw my arms up in the air in my best "Rocky" fashion punching the sky. Thinking I was alone. Hmmmm....not so much..... When I turned the tractor around to go to the barn there stood my mom. Starting to feel all embarrassed in an instant then my mom did the "Rocky" pose too. It was very cool. She couldn't believe I did it either. You know she was standing on the edge of the field because she was worried about me. Aaaawwwww....

Maybe the Internati*nal will be J's someday....cause I think I just fell in love with another tractor. ♥♥♥

Just call me Farmer Franny....

14 comments:

Sheri said...

You crack me up! I would've loved to have seen it!

Perspective RAD said...

HAY! Sounds like fun!

Perspective RAD said...

HAY! Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE HAYING!!! The smell, the rhythm, all of it.I never got to handle the tractor though...that was just for the boys in my family so I am SOOOO jealous of you!! Someday...someday...I should add that to my bucketlist :)

marythemom said...

I'm a total city girl, but I married a farm boy. Must be why I like you so much! See you next week farm girl!

Mary in Texas

The Accidental Mommy said...

Wow, so totally a different side of you I would not have expected! Yee Haw!

Diana said...

I'd have loved to have been there, too. And honestly, I don't think I would have ever guessed that you're really a farm girl. Good stuff!

Laynie said...

Ahhh, something about going back home to the country! I miss it so much! I used to get my summer tan on my grandfather's tractor each year. I would put on the bikini (back when I could wear one) and the headphones and sing to my heart's content. That is, until one day my grandmother came out and said my great aunt who lived on the next farm just called. She asked if I could keep it down cause I had all her dogs howling...

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Ha ha.The mission centre we're going to is also experiencing'hay season' right now.Interesting.

Hannah_Rae said...

Brings back memories for me too. :) There is an alfalfa field behind our house and I rejoice every time they cut it. I love that smell.

Eva Carper said...

My dad's favorite phrase when I started to slow down or complain is "you aren't quittin' on me yet are you?" We never farmed hay, but I've loaded and unloaded my fair share since I was a teenager. It does make you feel like superwoman :)

Kelly said...

You go girl! YeeHa! I am really smiling. Great visual post. I feel like I am there! Got my Rocky pose on too. :)

Corrine said...

Who siad that Haying was GREAT? No way, it is hard hot work. I love to be in the field smelling the sweetness, soaking up the sun...BUT sitting in a lawn chair drinking an iced tea.
I love my animals, so it is a necessary evil. I do it.
The first time I hayed, I thought it was going to be the perfect way to work on my tan. I showed up in shorts and a tank top. OUCH! I was nearly scratched to bits by the straw, and burnt to a crisp.
GOOD TIMES!!
YA HOO!!

Jo said...

Geez, you make me want to go do some hay'n too! It sounds like fun. What kind of bales where they? Squares? Rolls? And what kind of hay was it?