Monday, August 1, 2011

Faith, Hope, Love



There are so many things that I want to model for J.  So many lessons that I hope she learns from how I handle things.  The most important lessons are listed on our fridge.  Actually they were on the fridge before J came home but have had to be re-written several times due to wear and tear.  They are listed not just for J but as a reminder to me to always walk the walk with her and with others in my life.  Because I am so forgetful they are also listed in a meditation book in my bathroom. :) This is also how I chose the rings for the necklaces in our commitment ceremony.  The words to match our family beliefs.  There's no way I could do it perfectly but I sure give it my best shot.  Last week we had to re-visit them with the incident with the boy at camp.  J can recite most of them by heart and taught them to Kara before they got out of the car for camp.  Maybe Ethan had a little better day for it........

May I always remember:

To keep my side of the street clean.

Kindness rather than anger.

To be considerate of others.

There are lessons to be learned from everyone, even if it's "how not to be."

To stand for myself but not against my fellows.

To learn to say, "you might be right." Even if I don't agree because everyone has their own truths.

That I don't have to accept every invitation to a fight.

To keep an open mind and to not let the steel doors of my mind slam shut before I have considered all aspects of a situation.

It's possible to agree to disagree.

Being mean is never OK.

People that act very angry are usually coming from fear and insecurity.  See the person...not the behavior.

To those who much is given, much is expected.

To be accepting of all others.  Wherever they stand.

Be willing to look in the mirror and admit when I am wrong.

Just because someone calls me a chair does not, in fact, make me a chair.

Peace and love is grown in our hearts and we take it out to the world.

Give what you want to receive.  Peace, love, security, kindness, forgiveness, acceptance, faith, hope. Especially when you perceive that someone has hurt you.

Enjoy the journey.

Progress not perfection.

Be grateful.

15 comments:

Kristi said...

Absolutely amazing words to live by. I might copy your idea and modify a bit and post around my house. I needed this reminder - thank you!

Tara - SanitySrchr said...

This was AMAZING!!!!

Lee said...

WOW! What an awesome post to read first thing in the morning. (though I almost spit my tea on the monitor with the I am not a chair one!) lOL

GB's Mom said...

Can I adopt them too? They might make junior high a little less frustrating!

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Lisa, thank you for the role model and reminder of what is really important. I plan to print that out and put it up for me and my girls.

Barb G said...

LOVE this, Lisa! One more thing to add to our very crowded fridge. I love putting the encouraging stuff on the fridge. We all end up there several times throughout the day.

Thanks for sharing, doll. (((hug)))

Last Mom said...

"People that act very angry are usually coming from fear and insecurity. See the person...not the behavior." I need to tatoo this on my inner wrist to sneak a peak at when I'm dealing with my girl's Mad Buddy.

Trauma Mama said...

Excellent list! Thank you for sharing it!

Denise said...

Absolutely LOVE this, Lisa! Thank you!!

Tracey said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE these! Thank you!!

Sharla said...

Great reminders.

Amanda said...

Thanks, I needed to read this.

Blessed said...

Lisa, thank you so much for sharing these. I have written about this on my own blog today, and want to make sure it is ok with you that I quoted this list on my blog (linking back to your blog as the author of course!). Also, do you mind if I use your list as a starting-point for making such a values list for our own family fridge?

Thank you again,
blessed : )

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Oh Lisa - I'm so glad you shared this with us. So beautiful and more timely than you know.

stellarparenting.com said...

I needed this today, thanks.