Monday, April 23, 2012

Beloved T-Shirt

So a couple of years ago, my very wise and lovely friend, Dia, gave me a really cool t-shirt.  It was pristine white and on the front of it said,

"Mothers, Even When They Are Wrong, They Are Right."

I loved that t-shirt and took really good care of it.  It is still optic white with not a stain on it.  When I was feeling really down or things were tough all around, I'd pull out that t-shirt and it would totally pick me up and make me feel better.  J was usually not very happy about me wearing this shirt.  Which meant I totally needed to be wearing it.

Fast forward a couple of years, a several weeks ago, we were at the lake and J had forgotten her pajamas.  I pulled out that shirt since it would be a little big on her and she wore it to bed. The next day I was expecting to get it back.

Ummmm.....maybe not.....

I noticed it went through the laundry and thought it might be returned when clean.  Nope.  The next day she wore it during the day.  Out in public.  Picture me being very quiet.  This is the child that likes her clothes to fit.  They cannot be too big or too small.  They must fit correctly.  (Yes, I know why.)  She was wearing it even though it was too big and in public.  Hmm....

I haven't asked for the shirt back.  I'm just watching this child who used to reject me with every fiber of her being....wearing a shirt that has a statement on it about me.  Wow.

She is still wearing it.  Often.  Still in public.

Not only that but she is taking wonderful care of it.  If she had worn that shirt 3 years ago her main goal would've been to rip it to shreds or stain it beyond recognition.  I've noticed that she doesn't wear it when she's doing something that might get it stained like mowing the grass or fishing.  It is still pristine, optic white.

Picture me still being very quiet.  I'm still watching and enjoying.

My kid loves her "new" shirt.  I don't have the heart to ask for it back.

Volumes of healing in this post.

9 comments:

Tudu said...

I could hardly breathe reading that. Someday...

GB's Mom said...

Tears!

Blessed said...

crying!

Ranger said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........

TLC4evah said...

Fantastic. Powerful. Inspiring.

Both of you. ♥

BT said...

Now you feel redeemed by HER wearing it instead of YOU wearing it. And it sounds like she wears it way more often than you did! But, shhhhhh, we don't want certain little ears to catch wind that we're talking about it.

matryoshka said...

LOVE.

Barb G said...

ENORMOUS amount of healing! I love you and J. (((hug)))

The Accidental Mommy said...

I love this! You ARE right! Lol! And an awesome Mom!

I cannot believe what a lovely young lady J is these days. She has grown so much and she is beautiful.

Thanks for your nice note the other day. I'm getting there.... getting there...