Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Guided Imagery

Dia is a very wise and resourceful woman and she's one of my go-to people for ideas.  We had a little pow-wow a couple of days ago and she asked me to post on guided imagery again.  This is coming from a mom who ignored this suggestion for a while but once she started doing it, they saw great benefits.

Invisible Heroes is one of my favorite books and one that has given much to our family.  It is a gift to your child and to yourself.   We've been doing guided imagery in Kristy's office since 2008 but in 2009 I purchased this book and have found it to be one of enormous value to our family.  It's less than $10! You cannot beat that!

I first started posting about guided imagery here on February 5, 2009.  Which resulted in great news on February 8, 2009 posted here.

Since then I've done many posts on this subject including this one on March 25, 2009.

Random fact: Most kids with trauma have very large pupils due to their hyper-vigilance. It's really interesting to be in a room of kids with trauma and see all the large pupils staring back at you. I had this privilege at a camp and it can be really disconcerting.  The way I remember it, once I started doing guided imagery with J (when she slept) I noticed her pupils returning to their normal size. 


In September 2009, I wrote this post about the lie detector test and guided imagery.  


Then in October 2009 I wrote a script that I recorded for J.  The script is here and feel free to use it if you think it will work for your child.  We used this script for a really long time.  I recorded it in my voice with some Reiki music in the background and it played all night long in her room.  It's one of her favorites and the CD resides in a safe place in her room so she can pull it out anytime she wants.  Three years later and she still pulls it out to listen.


June 6, 2011 found us still using this book.  More about that and the benefits of hooping here.  Just in case you're wondering, hooping in our house is a/k/a The Wet Dog Trauma Shake.  




On January 30, 2011, I did a post on all the interventions, therapies, etc. that worked for us these are still true for us today.  So if you're looking for some ideas there are many right here


So in other words, get the book.  Devour it.  Embrace it and record it for your child.  Remember these GI's build upon each other so start at the beginning with the first script.  Also remember to record it in a slow monotonous tone of voice.  If you've ever been hypnotized you know that tone.


If you're ODD and don't want to do it then......  WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T DO THIS.  IT WON'T WORK ANYWAY!  


So there..... :)


Was I fast enough, Dia????







3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

LOL!

MammaT said...

Mell sometimes listens to Bob Griswold at night (since she was LITTLE) and apparently I did to because we got the copy we have from my Nana! it's this:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/self-image-for-children/id460547631
guided imagery is AWESOME!!!

Dia por Dia said...

Yep! Thank you! It was great to reread your posts and we are returning to it! Love you!!!